Thursday, May 3, 2007

Garden Planning


Every free moment that I have, I'm dreaming of what is going to go into my vegetable garden. So far, I've turned about 2/3 of the soil. It was literally back-breaking. I was pretty sore for a week so I haven't gotten to the rest yet. I also sprinkled the soil with "organic fertilizer" aka chicken poop.
I put in sweet peas, sugar snap peas and little marvel peas all in a row along the fence. An hour later, I was looking out the window and saw the squirrels already digging along the row! Curses. They really make my blood boil. I ran out an put chicken wire down over the area that I'd planted, but I think the size of the wire is too big and they can still scratch through. It's now been 10 days and I see ZERO sprouts. Either the seeds were too old or those squirrels have got them all. So I bought another package of sugar snap peas and sprouted them indoors between wet paper towel. They sprouted in 4 days.
I also put in radish seeds outside the same day as the peas in a small area. I "inter-cropped" them with the garlic, since that will take all season to mature. They have cheerfully burst through the soil. I can't wait until we need to thin them so I can have radish greens in a salad.

No comments: